We were waiting for Honda’s offering in the sub 4-meter compact SUV segment for long time now. And here is the Honda WRV. It is quite frankly late to the party, but the amount of efforts that Honda R&D India have put in along with Honda R&D Japan is commendable. For starters, they have given the WRV its own unique look. The front and the rear of the WRV have been given a differentiable character. The buffed up look is definitely not ugly, in fact it feels like a refreshed design style compared to that of the Vitara Brezza and the Ford EcoSport. The design of the WRV keeps growing on you, the more you look at it.
The late entry is also justified by the fact that Honda didn’t want to just add some plastic cladding to the Jazz and sell it like a compact SUV, which is the feeling one gets from the Hyundai i20 Active, the Volkswagen Cross Polo, and the Toyota Etios Cross – all of which look almost like the car they are based on.
The WRV has been extensively worked upon. It has larger dimensions, a slightly larger boot, and a tad better ground clearance compared to the Jazz. See the table below:
|Honda Jazz||Honda WR-V|
|Length||3955 mm||3999 mm (+ 44 mm)|
|Width||1694 mm||1734 mm (+ 40 mm)|
|Height||1544 mm||1601 mm (+ 57 mm)|
|Wheelbase||2530 mm||2555 mm (+ 25 mm)|
|Ground Clearance||165 mm||188 mm (+ 23 mm)|
|Boot Space||354 L||363 L (+ 9 L)|
The WRV’s suspension is not the same as the one in Jazz, and is designed give greater roll stability and improved rigidity for better handling performance. It has the Mac-Pherson strut front suspension and the Twisted torsion beam rear suspension.
It shares its engine with the Jazz – the 1.2L Petrol and 1.5L Diesel, but they have been tuned to work the best with the extra 50 kg that the Jazz gained to become the WRV. The petrol engine comes with a 5-speed Manual Transmission and the Diesel engine comes with a 6-speed Manual Transmission. There are no automatic variants available and Honda does not plan to offer them any time soon. The numbers are as follows:
|1.2 litre i-VTEC Petrol
||1.5 litre i-DTEC Diesel
||90 PS @ 6000 RPM||100 PS @ 3600 RPM|
||110 Nm @ 4800 RMP||200 Nm @ 1750 RPM|
|Transmission||5-speed manual||6-speed manual|
||17.5 KMPL||25.5 KMPL|
It will be an easier choice to make here since there are only two variants (S and VX) in both the Petrol and Diesel offerings to choose from.
- Dual SRS front Airbags,
- Anti-lock Braking System & Electronic Brake Distribution
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACETM) Body Structure
- Impact mitigating front head rest
- Pedestrian injury mitigation technology
- Intelligent Pedal (Brake Over Ride System)
- Multi-angle rear view camera with guidelines (VX only)
- First-in-segment Electric Sunroof with One-Touch Open/Close Function with Auto Reverse (VX only)
- R16 Alloy Wheel design [with Gunmetal finish (VX only)]
- Silver Finished Roof Rail Garnish
- Climate Control with Touch Control panel.
- 17.7cm Advanced Infotainment with audio, video, and navigation system called Digipad which is the one seen in the recently launched 2017 Honda City. (VX only)
- It also has an in-built Satellite linked Turn-by-turn Navigation
- My storage Internal Media Memory of 1.5GB
- Mirror Link support for smart phone connectivity
- Internet access for browsing, email and live traffic via optional WiFi Receiver
- Voice Commands for Media, Navigation and Calling
- MicroSD Card slots from Maps and Media
- HDMI ports (2)
- Bluetooth Handsfree Telephone and Audio streaming
- AM/FM Digital Radio Tuner, MP3/WAV, i-Pod™/i-Phone™
- Day time Running LEDs
- Front Fog Lamps (VX only) & LED High Mount Stop Lamp
- Turn Indicator on ORVM (VX only)
- Steering mounted controls for HFT, Audio, Voice command (VX only) and Cruise control (Diesel Only)
- One Push Start/Stop Button with white and red illumination (Diesel only)
- Cruise Control (Diesel only)
- Honda Smart Key System with Keyless Remote (Diesel only)
- Front Centre Armrest with Storage Console (VX only)
- Power Steering (EPS) – Tilt and Telescopic
Availability of the Honda WRV
Deliveries will begin immediately from the Honda’s dealer network of 336 facilities in 224 cities across the country. The Honda WRV will offer complete peace of mind with 3 years / Unlimited Kilometers warranty as standard benefit to the customer. Additionally, customers can opt for Extended Warranty for another two years / Unlimited kilometers for extra peace of mind. You can go book one for yourself now or even book a test drive today! Do let me know if you plan to do so!
Colors Options & Pricing
The Honda WRV is available with a choice of 6 color options: Premium Amber Metallic (New & Exclusive), Modern Steel Metallic, White Orchid Pearl, Carnelian Red Pearl, Alabaster Silver Metallic and Golden Brown Metallic
This is the pricing announced for Delhi and Navi Mumbai
|Variant||Price in INR
|Price in INR
(ex-showroom, Navi Mumbai)
|Diesel – VX – MT||9,99,900||10,06,900|
|Diesel – S – MT||8,79,000||8,86,900|
|Petrol – VX – MT||8,99,000||9,06,000|
|Petrol – S – MT||7,75,000||7,82,000|
Should you be buying the Honda WRV?
Are you considering the Jazz? Do you want a compact SUV that’s different looking and comes the assurance and service quality of Honda? The WRV is for you. Looking for a car bigger than a hatchback, smaller than a sedan, offering the compactness of the Jazz and the comfort of the City? The WRV is for you.
If you have any questions then do let me know.. I will try to answer them! Leave you questions in the comments below or email me on email@example.com and I’ll get back to you!
P.S. The WRV is below the CRV and the BRV. Honda, why did you not name it the ARV ??