Well well, the new generation Mahindra Scorpio is finally here! The all new mighty muscular, fierce-looking beast has been launched here in Mumbai yesterday and bookings have started pan-India at Mahindra dealerships.
Here is all that you need to know about the new-gen Scorpio, before you decide to buy it:
1. What’s new??
This time around, it is not simply a facelift, it is a new generation. The new Scorpio is based on a completely new platform along with a fresh transmission, better suspension and a new anti-roll technology. This all adds up to improved performance and handling. It certainly is a great improvement over the previous one, and a major improvement over the first Scorpio that was launched in 2002 (12 years and still going strong!).
Changes on the exterior include:
- Dual Projector Headlamps,
- stylish LED eyebrows,
- a new imposing chrome-accented front grille,
- tough new road Armour bumpers,
- elegant LED tail lamps, and
- new 17-inch alloy wheels.
Changes on the interior:
- New luxurious blue-grey interiors and a dual shaded dashboard,
- well designed attractive Center Console,
- a futuristic instrument cluster,
- a new sporty steering wheel with audio and cruise controls,
- all new chrome-finished AC vents
- Also on the inside:
- new hi-tech 6-inch Touch screen infotainment system with inbuilt GPS navigation,
- Intellipark reverse assist
Changes in the heart of the vehicle (the engine) include:
- the same old powerful 2.2 litre, 4-cylinder, turbocharged mHawk engine with a new 5 speed manual transmission gearbox (5MT320 gearbox)
- Shift on Fly 4 Wheel Drive – The New Generation Scorpio is also available in a 4×4 option. The shift on fly 4 Wheel Drive gives you the freedom of driving the vehicle in any kind of terrain.
- Short Turning Radius – The excellent and much improved turning radius of 5.4 meters enables ease of maneuverability even in the most congested places.
- New Fog Lamps add to the style and provide better visibility while driving in poor or low/foggy visibility conditions.
- Side Cladding with silver embossing – The new Scorpio-embossed side cladding adds to the macho styling of the New Generation Scorpio.
- Smart rain and light sensors – Smart sensors automatically turn the headlights ON or OFF according to light conditions, and control the speed of the wipers according to the rain intensity.
- Tyre-tronics – a new measuring system that enhances safety by providing live updates of the exact air pressure and temperature in each tyre. Any variation is brought to your immediate attention.
- Voice Assist System – The New Generation Scorpio’s unique Voice Assist System provides timely reminders for door ajar, seat belt warning, low brake fluid, fuel on reserve, etc.
2. Safety Features:
- Dual Front Airbags – During a collision, these dual airbags inflate instantly, thereby protecting occupants from serious injury.
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) – It prevents skidding and keeps the vehicle steerable and in control during sudden braking, hence avoiding accidents.
- Crash protection crumple zones absorb most of the impact in case of a collision. The rigid steel bars in the doors reduce impact from the sides.
- Collapsible Steering Column – In case of a frontal collision the steering column collapses to reduce injury to the driver.
- Engine Immobilizer – This is an encrypted key recognition system that keeps your New Generation Scorpio safe. If any other key is used to start the vehicle, the ECU rejects it right away. This immobilizer system is certified by the globally renowned M/S Thatcham.
- New Panic Brake Indication – This provides a hazard warning during sudden deceleration while vehicle speed is over 100kmph.
- New Auto Door Look while driving – once the vehicle speed crosses 20kmph.
- New Anti-Theft Warning – A warning is provided through a siren upon unauthorized entry.
- Speed Alert Warning – This provides a warning when the vehicle speed reaches 140kmph. (Hmm!)
- Anti-Pinch Smart Window – This smart window on the driver’s side detects obstructions during window roll-up and automatically rolls down the glass.
- New Height Adjuster on driver’s seat – allows the driver to adjust the seat height as per his convenience.
- New Hydraulic-assisted Bonnet – helps you lift the bonnet without any effort whatsoever.
- Headlamps with Follow me home & lead me to the vehicle feature – The headlamps remain ON for some time after locking/unlocking the vehicle. This illuminates the path for walking conveniently up to your home or to your New Generation Scorpio. (This is kinda cool, and useful in certain cases!)
4. Major specs:
5. Seating options, Colors, Variants & Price:
The New Generation Scorpio will be available in multiple seating configurations: 7-, 8- & 9-seater options. The Scorpio will available in total 5 cool color options: Diamond White, Fiery Black, Molten Red (new), Regal Blue (new), and Mist Silver.
|Variant||Ex-Showroom (in ₹)|
These are the current prices for the six major variants plus two 4WD variants of the new Scorpio.
For prices for your city, go to: http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/mahindra-scorpio-buyers.aspx?id=price
I’ve tried to collate pics of various colors of the Scorpio to give a definite idea about the changes on the exterior, well that’s what the others get to see! 😉 😀
Image Credits: Overdrive, ZigWheels, AutoCAR India and NDTV Auto.
Some useful links if you are really looking to buy this car:
Official Website: http://www.mahindrascorpio.com/
Let me know what you think about the #NewGenScorpio! Will you buy one?? Share your views in the comments below! 🙂